Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Be Confident That You Will Finish

This is Susan. This past Sunday I was able to complete one of the goals I have been working on for a few months; running in a 1/2 marathon. On Sunday, May 27th, Memorial Day weekend, I accomplished it. I doubt I can find the words, as verbose as I can be at times (like this blog), to describe the feeling of euphoria I felt as I jogged over the Finish line and a young girl was there to hand me my Finisher medal...and both my grandsons were there to hand me a bouquet of flowers and 'love you Grandma Sue' hugs!

As the months went on prior to this day, I knew I would be on the Start line and I knew I would Finish...and I knew I would have times of doubt between those two points. And there was a moment or two, in the heat and when the mile markers seemed to be light years apart, when I said, "What am I doing? What made me think I could do this?" Then I looked around and, lo and behold, the runners around me were struggling also. I wasn't alone. They were doing it and so could I.

I think accomplishing this goal first was a message of sorts; the anatomy of a goal. In all of our goals, we need a place to Start and we need  to have the confidence that we will Finish. What happens between those two points is a crap shoot. I walked sometimes when I wished I could have run...but if I had run I may not have made it to the end. When I hit a water stop, I stopped. I didn't grab the cup and keep going like the more experienced runners do. I stopped, took a few sips, and then moved on. This is not easy. You want to just keep going, keep moving, get there! But...maybe you need to stop every once in a while and look at what you are trying to accomplish and be sure that the way you are going about it is the right way....for you. Those last two words are key...for you. I did what I needed to for me to stay in the race and it worked. Don't be afraid to stop, revisit your goals, massage the tasks you need to get you there; whatever it takes to keep you on your path. As long as you don't turn around and go back, or sit at the side of the road and wait for someone to pick you up, then you are on your way.

There exist goals that are impossible and then there are goals that seem impossible.  And when they seem impossible, that is when your friends and family are there to help move you along (or offer you a glass of Gatorade). They are your support team.Stop for a few seconds, reach out, say 'Hey, I'm struggling here, I don't think I can do this.' The rest will just take care of itself, promise.

A few times during my training, that half-marathon seemed impossible...but its been done before by women older and less physically active than me, so I knew it wasn't impossible. And I think my daughter-in-law and I grew a little closer, standing on this common ground. I not only don't want to lose that, I would like to build on it. 

I can't wait to accomplish my next goal; that feeling just can't be beat!

"Do one thing a day that scares you." Anonymous


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Susan on obtaining your goal! Knew you could and would accomplish it. You have many wise and wonderful pieces of wisdom in your post! Nothing is impossible when you put your mind to it and work towards it!

    ReplyDelete