Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Howling At The Moon

I started reading a book that was recommended to me by Peggie a couple of years ago; "Women Who Run With The Wolves". The book was written by Clarissa Pinkola Estes and through stories and tales passed down from generations before her, she helps women reconnect with their true instinctual self, to let women  know it is okay to be who we are naturally and not what society has led us to believe is acceptable.

One of my favorite paragraphs follows: "A healthy woman is much like a wolf; robust, chock-full, strong life force, life-giving, territorially aware, inventive, loyal, roving. Yet, separation from the wildish nature causes a woman's personality to become meager, thin, ghosty, spectral. We are not meant to be puny with frail hair and inability to leap up, inability to chase, to birth, to create a life. When women's lives are in stasis, or filled with ennui, it is always time for the wildish woman to emerge; it is time for the creating function of the psyche to flood the delta."

Ok ladies, time to howl at the moon!!

One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.  Helen Keller

1 comment:

  1. One of the best books I've read, and I've read it twice so far. I'm sure I will be reading it again, and again. I agree, this passage from the book is a golden gem, and one women should take to heart. -- Peggie

    ReplyDelete