Friday, June 22, 2012

Little Brewster Sunset Visit

This is Susan. I haven't blogged for a while so I thought I would 'stop by'. 

Last Wednesday evening I went with two of my fellow JOS-ites to a rocky two-acre island called Little Brewster in Boston Harbor.  Donna H, Margie and I left from Rowes Wharf at 6pm and were soon greeted by Sally Snowman, the full-time lightkeeper on Little Brewster. She is the last of her kind as all the other lighthouses in the country are fully automated. The Coast Guard thought it appropriate that due to Little Brewster's historic beginnings and the fact that it is the oldest light station in the country, it was deserving of a full-time keeper. Unfortunately, due to a little scuffle with our friends across the pond, Boston Light is not the oldest lighthouse. It was burned to the ground twice and then rebuilt. During one of these periods, in 1764, Sandy Hook in NJ built what is now considered to be the oldest lighthouse in the country. But I transgress.

We took this little excursion on one of the hottest days we have experienced so far this year. It was well into the 90's. Cool breezes prevailed on the island, however, and the visit was immensely enjoyable. I was excited to go since I need to expand my collection of available images for use in the book on the Boston Harbor Islands I have been working on for some time. The last time I was on Little Brewster, maybe four years ago, my camera battery died...and I had no backup. That will not happen again! We three, and about twenty other folks, roamed the island for about an hour. 

Soon, the red orb gradually, gracefully, began lowering itself into the familiar silhouette of Boston's skyline. It was time for us to head back.  While waiting to board the boat, we couldn't help but be awed by the beauty of this harbor sunset.

I think I now have enough photos to select from for that section of my book that speaks to Little Brewster Island. If not, another visit is just a water taxi ride away!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! It was great that the island provided a lovely breeze on such a hot, hot day! Can't wait to see all the photos, and eagerly await the book!

    ReplyDelete